Framing as a process is so expensive, and matting is no exception. So when I need something framed, I almost always look for a frame with a mat in the size I need. If I want a different colored/textured frame, that’s where this little craft comes in.
Supplies for Glittering Mat Frames:
- Picture frame with mat
- Acrylic craft paint in any color
- Acrylic gloss varnish
- Glitter in any color
- Foam brushes
- Large craft paint brush (I used a 1 1/2 inch brush)
- Plate or paint palette
- Newspaper or butcher paper
1. Spread paper over workspace. Using colored paint, cover mat with coat of paint. If necessary, use a second coat. Let dry. If you’re just looking for some color, and not sparkle, you can stop here.
2. Squirt gloss onto palette. Pour glitter in. Be generous. Consistency should feel like paint, but glitter should cover pretty well.
3. Apply glitter and paint mixture generously. Let dry between coats. I used three coats of glitter for full coverage. I wanted mine to sparkle!
Just a note: the mat will bow as you apply paint. I consistently applied pressure while painting/drying, which helped. It will also flatten out in the frame.
4. Use a coat of varnish to seal everything in. Allow that to dry.
5. Assemble the matting, picture, and picture frame. Hang it up!
Thanks for having me!