Scrabble Tile Pendant Tutorial

I’m excited to share this tutorial for Scrabble Tile Pendants from Mark and Stefani at HomeStudio. They’ve so graciously provided this how-to for making these lovely pendants to all of us crafters. These pendants are great for necklaces, charms, and gifts to give. To purchase these pendants with HomeStudio’s one of a kind designs, please visit their Etsy shop.

Scrabble Tile Pendant Tutorial

Supplies needed: · Paper · Scrabble Tiles · Scissors · Craft Glue · Metal File · Mod Podge · Small Paint Brushes · Utility Knife · Diamond Glaze · Super Glue · Small Aanraku Jewelry Bails in Silver

Step 1:
Choose your paper wisely! I use a template card, a little template on an index card with a hole the size of a scrabble tile. That way when I shop for paper, I can see if the pattern will fit the tile. You can use almost
any paper you find; scrapbook paper, card stock, Japanese Washi paper, origami paper, gift wrap, even lightweight recycled greeting cards. Everything will become a possibility, so experiment. Using a light box (or holding your paper to the window), use your template card and trace the pattern for your tile. Trim the paper about a 3/4” to 1/2” around your outline. Allow enough excess paper so you can hold the paper while spreading the glue.

Step 2:
Using a paint brush and your light box, “paint” a thin layer of glue (I use Tacky Glue) onto the back of your paper. Place your tile in the box, being sure to notice which way is up so your letter isn’t upside down when you’re finished. I like using a thin glue.

Step 3:
After about 10-20 minutes your glue should be dry. Using a utility knife, carefully trim around the outside of the tile being careful not to cut the tile in the process. The wood is pretty soft.

Step 4:
Gently file the edges of the paper to be smooth and flush with the side of the tile. Since the wood is soft, be careful not to file too hard. You may want to experiment with different types of metal files in order to find the one you like best. The one I use is a medium grit file.

Step 5:
Now you need to seal the paper. Use a paint brush to apply a thin layer of Mod Podge. I like to seal the top and all sides. Let that dry for 10-20 minutes. I like to lay my tiles on wax paper so the glue doesn’t stick to my work surface. A cookie sheet lined with wax paper works perfectly!

Step 6:
Once the Mod Podge is dry, it is time to apply the Diamond Glaze. Do NOT shake the glaze. First, I like to make a little dot on my wax paper. The first dot usually has a bubble & I’d rather have it on the wax paper than on my tile. Holding the bottle at an angle, apply the glaze around the edges and then fill in the middle.  Be sure to get close to the edges. The glaze shouldn’t roll off the edge, but in case it does, just file it off when the whole thing is dry. If you get a bubble, which will happen, just use your fingernail to pull it off the tile. You can use a needle, but I find that is harder to do. Diamond Glaze is water soluble, so it just washes off with soap and water. Now let your tile dry for a minimum of 4 hours. Dry your tile in a cool place where it won’t get bumped by anyone.
UPDATED:
I let mine to fully cure 3 days before packaging it. The glaze manufacturers may suggest less time but to be safe, plan on 3 days.

Step 7:
Now attach the silver bail. Hold the bail with your fingers, put a drop or two of glue and hold the tile in place. I like to use Super Glue because then it’s stuck “forever”! The only down side, is that if the bail isn’t exactly centered, it’s tricky to remove. In seconds, it’s attached and ready to go!

Step 8:
Now to clean up any rough edges. Get your metal file again and smooth down any rough edges and excess glue. Now you’re finished! Enjoy your pendant.

© 2008, HomeStudio. All rights reserved. Use of designs, images, or content without permission is prohibited. Please contact homestudio111{at}gmail.com for permission of use. Please feel free to use this tutorial for personal use and have fun crafting!

{ 390 comments… read them below or add one }

KD March 1, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I was wondering what size bails are used. I went onto Ebay and under the Aanraku bails they have 3 different sizes small, medium or large. Does it matter what size I purchase for the scrabble tile?

HomeStudio March 2, 2009 at 10:22 am

As for bails, we use the small size. Aanraku has recently introduced the medium but we have not tried them. The large look out of scale with the scrabble tile but that’s just our opinion. Of course using the small size will limit what size chain/ribbon will go through the hole. You might want to try all three and see what works best for you.

Jill March 11, 2009 at 9:44 am

Hi, I found that the Mod Podge leaves streaks on the image when I apply it as a sealer. Do these streaks disappear after applying the Diamond Glaze?

Lucia March 16, 2012 at 12:10 am

Hi Jill, when you apply DG or any resin or other product, you don’t see the sealer. Good luck.

Laura March 15, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Hi everyone! I have made about 75 of these and am using them to raise money for the Avon Walk for Breast cancer that i will be walking in June 6 -7. I have done really well with that. Since I have pretty much exhausted my sales on them, I am wanting to make pins out of them. Does anyone know where I can get pins (the ones with a backing like earring backs)?

Jayne Caldwell March 27, 2009 at 4:24 am

Hi there, appreciate the tutorial as well. I have another problem however – bought a bunch of these Scrabble pendants and some necklaces separate, but found the ‘clasp’ can’t put through the silver bail. Is this a common problem? I have always assumed the bail should be big enough for us to swap different necklaces to wear with?.

Shelly Hughes March 29, 2009 at 3:10 am

I’m trying to put photo paper on bamboo tiles. I glue the photo paper to the tile, then coat with mod podge and cover with crystal lacquer (similar to diamond glaze). And I get tons of bubbles! Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

squib April 4, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I’m having a few problems with my glass scrabble tile pendants. Sometimes, even though I put 3 coats of diamond glaze on the back, the E6000 eats through and leaves a bail shaped mark on the picture

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried marine varnish for sealing the pictures and making them more waterproof?

deloris April 6, 2009 at 10:40 am

do you now what kind of pen you could use if you want to add an initial.

Rhoda April 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Boy, do I feel behind the times – here it is 4/22/09 and I’m just now finding this tutorial and series of Q&As! In my first attempt, I divided my tiles into 3 groups of 10 tiles each to see what would would best and had some mixed results.

First I found that Zip Dry Paper Glue (by Beacon Adhesives) worked the best to adhere my paper to the scrabble tiles.

All tiles using scrapbook paper turned out great; but had mixed results printing my own floral images onto photo paper using an ink jet printer . . . and this is the weird part, some bled and others didn’t but there didn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason as to why. This I need to investigate further – hummmmm . . . .

Mod Podge worked well as a sealer no matter what glue I used to affix the paper to the tile in the first step.

I finished all tiles with DG3 Art Gel (by BeadSmith) which dries to a clear, hard, durable finish – although I haven’t done a water test, and am a bit hesitant to do so. My word of caution here is that you should work from the tile edges into the center so you don’t use too much gel. On the first tile I went from the center outward and ended with a “hump” in the middle of the tile – ugly!

To finish my tiles, I’m using a variety of techniques to provide buyers with more options: earring posts, stick-on pin backs, magnets, glue to hair clips and do a simple wire wrapping to create my own bail (basically 1 short wire with 2 simple loops turned at 45 degree angles to allow for gluing to the tile and allowing for a chain to run through for a necklace).

Tomorrow I will try the spray Krylon some folks have suggested to prevent the apparently random bleeding . . . I’ll let you know my results.

My thanks to everyone who published, commented and contributed to all of our successes!!

Jaimie May 2, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I am off to the store to buy all of these items. I noticed that some of the pictures used in the examples that everyone was asking about are available on the Microsoft Word Clip Art Gallery online. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx

You would have to put them into Microsoft Word and resize them. But then you could print them out in color on white cardstock and trim them as needed. I am going to try it tonight. But there are some GREAT images on there. You can search for “flowers” or “bird” or whatever you want.

Laura Miller May 12, 2009 at 9:59 am

THANK YOU for this fabulous tutorial. My daughter and I jumped in with both feet and blindfolds on, and have been discouraged by all the mistakes we’re making! But we’ve invested in the supplies, so we’re going to make it work, and MANY thanks to you. My question; is there anything wrong with going ahead and cutting the paper to the size of the tile, rather than using the utility knife to cut the paper after it is glued on? My experience (having taken many art classes) is that it’s very easy to slip with the utility knife and cut into the paper, or have a “messy” edge. Please let me know your thoughts on this, thank you! Also… any tutorials on making a light box? : )

Mona May 14, 2009 at 9:40 am

Can you use the same materials on ceramic tile that you use on a scrabble tile?

Rachel May 16, 2009 at 6:14 am

I don’t have a light box so I hold the template and paper up to the computer screen and centre my pictures that way. Take care not to press too hard! Its not great with very thick paper but just about ok.

Tania May 18, 2009 at 6:39 am

Just wondering if anyone has figured out how to make these tiles and use Diamond Glaze without an indentation in the centers of each tile after they dry. I recently made about 12 of them, all using the diamond glaze working from the outer edges of the tile in and though it looks level when wet, after drying the edges are higher than the inside of the tile which dries with the indentaiton. It’s very frustrating.

Renee May 21, 2009 at 11:14 am

I have an idea for the bubble problem. I work in an orthodontic office and we have a little vibrating desktop gadget that we hold impressions on to vibrate all the bubbles out of the impression material. I’m wondering if its possible to vibrate the bubbles out of the epoxy somehow?

Tanja May 24, 2009 at 6:35 am

Tania, the indention is a sign that you are using too much glaze. Hey check out this cute site, she has her own line of Scrabble replacement tiles called Scrabble-Dabble Doo!!! Tiles. I bought the tutorial and it was awesome! She is also my source for inexpensive high quality beautiful chains as well!
Here’s the link: http://www.scrabbledabbledoo.etsy.com/

alvin May 30, 2009 at 3:09 am

I have the same problem as Julie. I use DG3 for scrabble tile pendants. I leave the DG3 to dry 5-6 days and then I put them in organza bags, ready to be sent.
My problem : they get stuck on the bag and you can see some marks of the bag on the tile. the same happens if I put 2 tiles together : the DG3 acts like a glue and they get stuck.
Why ??????

Lisa May 30, 2009 at 10:21 am

Alvin, Diamond Glaze is NOT a reliable product. It has had major issues for nearly a year, Judy Kins released a lot of bad batches of glaze into the market, as you may have heard. The best glaze that I have used is from Sun and Moon, everyone seems to be using it. Give this a try, it’s all that I use now, here’s where you’ll find it http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25523491

Heather June 8, 2009 at 11:09 am

Fun tutorial! I have heard these are kind of tricky to make. This tutorial seems very exhaustive! Thanks!

Kelly June 23, 2009 at 9:33 am

I was wondering what type of mod podge you used. I’m rounding up the supplies to do this, because I’m now in love with the idea, but I’m stuck on the mod podge. What finish should I get? Matte? Satin? Outdoor?
Thanks!

rebekah Neff June 27, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Thanks so much for this idea….I’ve made about 6 of these necklaces as gifts, and people love them!

Roselle July 3, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Thanks. I always wondered how to do this. I might actually try this at home :)

Robin July 12, 2009 at 1:03 am

Just a tip.. if you can’t find the tiles, how about trying a wooden or bamboo placemat? It already has the holes drilled in it for the hardware. I will be trying these this week since I have made tons of bracelets from one mat and still have plenty of tiles left over!

Jennifer July 20, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Robin… where did you find the bamboo placemat? Great idea!!

samantha geller July 30, 2009 at 12:19 am

Hey thats a great tutorial. I would surely like to try making few on my own.

Samantha