We love to collect seashells each time we go to the beach. Unfortunately, on our last trip to the beach, seashells were scarce. It’s the end of summer and all the beach goers must have scooped them up. We were able to find 2 fairly descent shells and added them to our growing collection.
For storytime today, we read the book, Seashells by the Seashore by Marianne Berkes. After this fun shell story, we got out all the seashells we’ve collected over the years. Then we sorted them into groups, by shape, color, texture, and again by broken ones and whole ones. There’s lots of ways to sort and classify items and these seashells were fun to work with.
Now I’m trying to come up with a fun way to display them. Here’s how others have been displaying their beach collections.
- Ocean Counting Book – counting using beach treasures
- Sand Jars – collect sand and give each beach it’s own jar
- Display Stands – for when you’ve found something really special
- Shadow Box – lots of seashells could fit into a fun box frame
- Seashell Crafts & Beach Crafts – fun ideas from Martha Stewart
How do you display treasures collected from the beach?