With a new year, comes a fresh new start. Does your family have any new year’s traditions? In keeping with our annual family tradition, my girls and I have been spending some time jotting down wishes and plans for the new year. This year, we are recording our ideas on a 2016 printable that we can fill with words and doodles. My girls will hang these in their rooms for inspiration throughout the year, then I can tuck them away in their keepsake boxes at the end of the year. Kids and adults of all ages will enjoy this project to get them excited and inspired for the year ahead of them. This is a fun and non-intimidating way to make new year’s resolutions and goals.
If you want to spend some time making these with your family, start by downloading and printing the 2016 Word Art coloring page. I like to print ours on card stock. The card stock makes it more sturdy to hang on a wall for display.
2016 Word Art Printable for Kids
Gather an assortment of colorful pencils, crayons, and/or markers. Sometimes, it helps to brainstorm together to get the ideas flowing. You could also decorate it with glitters, puffy paint, or stickers. Possibilities are endless!
We talk about things like:
- something new you want to try
- places you want to go
- favorite activities to make time for
- family traditions to start or continue (movie night, game night, parent/child dates, etc.)
- hobbies to enjoy (new and old)
- activities we’re looking forward to (birthdays, annual trips, etc.)
- ways to help around the house or become more independent (cooking dinner for family)
- special foods you want to eat
- books you want to read, or a reading challenge for yourself
- movies, performances, community events to attend
- exercise goals
Don’t forget to add important things like laughing, snuggling, and taking naps! Those are the best ones.
Embellish your words with drawings or doodles, inside the numbers or around the border. The little ones in your house can make a 2016 wish page, too – they can draw pictures and dictate their words to you. This makes for a great family tradition to do every year. At the end of the year you can look back at what you wanted to do and accomplish.
For more New Year’s fun, check out what we made together last year – Wishes for the New Year accordion books.