Play dough is one of my favorite homemade crafts to make with my kids. Especially since it’s so easy to whip up and brings instant fun for hours. There are a few recipes I’ve shared here before, but this recipe for 3 ingredient play dough using baking soda and cornstarch is the best! Read on for more details.
Here’s the quick and easy recipe for homemade play dough, you’ll have it ready in 5 minutes! Watch our video to see just how easy it is. Follow the recipe and instructions below to make it today!
3 Ingredient Play Dough to Make in Minutes:
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- optional: 2-3 drops of essential oils are fun to add in
- optional: 4-5 drops of food coloring
1. In a saucepan with NO heat, add the cornstarch, baking soda, water and stir.
2. Place your saucepan on the stove top and turn your heat to medium.
3. Continue stirring the mix constantly. It will start to bubble slightly and that’s when it happens really fast. It will begin to turn solid. Once a ball starts to form (4-5 minutes) take your pan off the heat.
4. Place your dough onto a piece of parchment paper or a silicone mat. Let it cool, it will be very hot. To speed the cooling process, flip it over and knead it a bit as it’s cooling down. Be careful, it’s HOT.
5. Once your dough is cool you have the option of adding in a food coloring or a scent. Option: add 2-3 drops of essential oil, we used lemon, and knead it into the dough. Option: add drops of food coloring to your desired colored, even 1 drop will give it some color.
That’s it, super easy! Now it’s time to play. Get out the cookie cutters, lollipop sticks, and plastic utensils and have some fun creating! Your kids are gonna love this.
You can add colors, smells, and textures to your play dough to enhance your play dough play.
Pin this recipe for later:
7 ways to have fun with your homemade play dough:
- Pink Peppermint Play Dough – smells amazing.
- Glitter Heart Clay Ornaments – such a cute gift idea
- Edible Play Dough – yes they can eat this one!
- Salt Dough Beads – easy and fun.
- Play Dough Volcano – this one is so cool!
- Adding Color to your Dough – great afternoon activity.
- Placemats for Dough Play – love this one.
*This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for clicking and supporting Make and Takes.