It’s officially apple picking season. It’s that time of year when apple trees are full and ready for picking. Have you already made all the apple pie you can eat? Then you should use those apples for this recipe. When you’re looking for fun ways to dress your apples, it’s time to dip them in caramel. These make for yummy treats and are perfect for gifts. Wrap them in some cellophane and deliver them to neighbors!
Caramel Dipped Apples
Supplies for Caramel Candy Apples:
- apples, any color, size or shape
- 1 bag of caramel candies, I love the mini bits they now sell. Or you can make homemade caramel to dip
- wax paper
- sticks – popsicle sticks, real sticks, mine are 10 inch wooden dowels
1. Place your caramel candies in a microwave safe bowl and microwave them 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. Depending if you use the whole bag of caramel or not, you might only microwave it for 1 minute total.
2. Place a stick into the center of your apple and press down until firm. Dip your apple into the hot melted caramel, swirling it around until it’s coated. Set the carmeled apple onto the wax paper to cool and set.
3. If you would like, you can get fancy and add another layer of melted candy to the mix. I’ve melted chocolate chips and dipped my apples a second time.
You can also dip them into crushed oreo, m&ms, sprinkles, nuts, cinnamon. YUM!
4. Chill your apples in the fridge to help them set, so they can be removed from the wax paper and place into treat bags.
Tip: Serve your candied apples cut. I have found they are so much easier to eat when cut into slices. Try to keep the apples in their shape with the stick and all.