I’m on a crochet kick for October with all kinds of fun pumpkin goodies! Today I’m sharing my cozy for a pumpkin stem. Those ouchy pokey stems are never fun to hold, so I’ve crocheted a simple cozy to cover up all snuggly!
Crochet Pumpkin Stem Cozy
Note: Always hold your pumpkin from the base, never just the stem. Believe me, I’ve had one pop off. And then where would your cozy go?
- green yarn – or any cool color for your cozy
- hook size H
- yarn needle
- pumpkin with a handle!
1. Chain 18 – OR how ever many to fit the base of your pumpkin’s stem.
2. Slip stitch your hook back into your first chain to form a large circle.
3. Chain 3. This will be your first double crochet.
4. Double crochet into each stitch in the round. Only stitch into the front V of each stitch. This will help it start to cone up. (second photo)
5. Slip stitch into the first double crochet to finish the round.
6. Chain 3. This will be your first double crochet in the second row.
7. Double crochet in each front only stitch again and slip stitch to finish off the round.
8. Chain 3 for your first double crochet.
9. For this row, you will start to taper off your stitches to bring the top in. Double crochet 2 stitches and skip 1 stitch. Continue around and slip stitch to finish the round.
Depending how long your stem is or how long you’d like to make your cozy, make one more row.
10. Chain 3 for your first double crochet.
11. Double crochet into each stitch, as there are less from the last round. Slip stitch to finish this round. Continue to double crochet and/or skip stitches to taper it in again.
12. Cut your ends and hide in the tails with your crochet needle.
Your cute little pumpkin is ready to get cozy.
Snuggle it over the stem and it’s nice and comfy.
Have fun with crochet for fall!