A fun collection of little goodies is one my favorite gifts to give for birthdays. Not only is a paper airplane kit an affordable gift, it also encourages creativity and unplugged play. Win-win! This kit includes supplies for making a variety of planes, plus some fun stuff for decorating the planes, too.
Paper Airplane Kit Supplies:
- Big stack of white copy paper
- Paper clips
- Rubber bands
- Stickers and/or patterned tape
- Printable flight test recording sheet (download)
- Colored copy paper or origami paper
- Tape measure
- Stop watch
Rubber bands can be used to create catapult planes, and the paper straws can be used for making hoop gliders.
A paper airplane instruction book would be a wonderful addition to this kit, such as:
- Zoom!: The Complete Paper Airplane Kit
- The Easy to Make Paper Airplane Book: Created by a Kid
- The Klutz Book of Paper Airplanes (my girls love this one!)
There are many websites with printable paper airplane instructions. If you aren’t including a book, it would be helpful to print and include a few tutorials. Here are a few to get you started:
- The Best Paper Airplane at Creative with Kids
- Four different paper planes at In the Playroom
- Free airplane designs at Fun Paper Airplanes
One of my favorite parts of this kit is the recording sheet for official paper airplane flight tests. My girls have made so many charts like this over the years, and they still love having paper airplane competitions! Download and print a few for your kit!
Gather all your paper airplane-making supplies and a container to put them in. The free recording sheet download also includes a label for your kit. Print the label on sticker paper, or attach with double-sided tape. You can also cover the label with clear Contact paper. Fun in a box!
I think your kiddos will have a great time putting together paper airplane kits for their friends. You could even make a special birthday-themed paper airplane instead of a card!