With summer here in full force, it’s time to bring out the warm weather activities! Sidewalk chalk couldn’t be more fun and perfect for your driveway, wood fence, or back deck. With this DIY recipe, kids get to make and take their own crafty chalk. So much fun in the creating and the decorating!
DIY Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
Take summer fun to a new level with this easy DIY sidewalk chalk paint recipe! Sidewalk chalk is a classic activity that kids love to take outdoors during summer. There are so many ways to play and learn with chalk which makes it a super versatile and affordable activity for summer. This recipe is super easy to make and only takes a few simple supplies that are most likely already in your pantry. It’s a new take on the classic sidewalk chalk but your kids will love it. They will have a great time doing art on your sidewalk or patio!
This DIY sidewalk chalk paint is so easy to make! Grab some cornstarch and food coloring from your kitchen and you are ready to make some sidewalk chalk paint!
- Measuring Cups
- Mixing bowl
- Food Coloring
- Paint Brushes
- Muffin Tin or Small plastic bowls
How to make sidewalk chalk paint
1. add 1 cup of water to 1 cup of cornstarch.
2. Mix until there are no clumps of cornstarch and then pour the mixture into the cups of muffin tin or into small plastic containers.
3. Next add a few drops of food coloring to each cup and mix until blended.
TIP: If you don’t have food coloring handy, try mixing in some tempera paint.
Now hand off to your kids with a couple of paint brushes and let them create!
This sidewalk paint goes on wet but as it dries the colors really pop out at you! My kids love to paint our back patio or pick rocks from the garden to paint on. I like that it just washes right off. We haven’t had any issues with the food coloring staining the sidewalk. It always washes right off.
What I really love about this sidewalk chalk paint recipe is that it works really well on all sidewalk types. We have a rocky sidewalk and patio area which makes using typical sidewalk chalk difficult and not very fun for my kids. Regular chalk is hard to get a smooth line and usually takes several tries to get it to show up. Thankfully this sidewalk chalk paint goes on smoothly and leaves a bright line as it dries!
So pretty! It’s normal for the colors appear a bit watery when the kids begin painting but don’t worry! They dry vibrant and your kids will have a great time covering your sidewalk with masterpieces! Make it today!
More Sidewalk Chalk Ideas:
- 10 Awesomely Fun Sidewalk Chalk Activities – so many great ideas to keep your kiddies busy all summer long!
- Get Outdoors This Summer With Spray Chalk – possibilities are endless, it’s easy to clean up, and the kids can start with a blank canvas again.
- Sidewalk Chalk Games for Kids: Dots and Boxes – such a simple game kids can play with their chalk.