It’s September, so apples are on the brain, can you tell? With apple cards, candy apples, yarn apples, I can’t seem to get enough. Well, as I was browsing Pinterest, which I’m addicted to, I came across this post from Muses of Megret on baking your cupcakes into Valentine hearts. It’s such a cute and clever way to bake these! It sparked a thought that this method would also make the perfect shape for an apple as well. So here are apple cupcakes, cute as ever!
Supplies for Apple Shaped Cupcakes:
- cupcake mix
- cupcake liners and muffin tin
- marbles or tinfoil
- red colored frosting
- pretzel sticks
- green gumdrops
1. Over at Muses of Megret, she prefers to use marbles, but if you don’t have them, which for some reason I don’t, to use balls of tinfoil. And I got these great red cupcake liners from Cindy over at Sweet Baking Supply, (they are even scalloped, so cute!) Simply roll your tinfoil into a small 1/2 inch ball and place into the liner. It might pop out until you have your batter into the liners as well.
2. Pour your batter into your liners. You may have to hold down your liners as you pour.
3. Bake your cupcakes according to your directions and let them cool.
4. Mix up some red frosting and frost your cupcakes. My favorite tool for this is an offset spatula, a small 1/2 inch wide one. So great for spreading frosting.
5. At the top of the cupcake indent, add a stick pretzel, pressing it 3/4 of the way through. But be careful it doesn’t come all the way out on the other side.
6. Using kitchen scissors, trim down your green gumdrop into a small leaf size and place it next to the pretzel, on the frosting to help it stick.
Now they are ready to bite into. Make enough for your child’s classroom, or just a few for their teacher.