My kids are always asking me to cut out hearts for them, “I just can’t do it” they say! So today I taught them cutting symmetrical hearts using this little trick below. This is an easy trick that they will remember to do their whole lives. The result is a perfectly shaped heart. All you need is some pink, red, and white construction paper, a pencil, and some scissors. Now we’ve got hearts all over the place, ready for Valentine’s Day projects!
Trick for Cutting Symmetrical Hearts
- paper, any kind – cut into small squares, as it’s easier to fold and cut with little hands
- pencil – so you can erase the line if needed
- scissors – best to have child scissors for them to practice
Fold your small paper in half and using your pencil, draw a half of a heart on the folded side. Draw small hearts, medium sized hearts, or big sized hearts.
Here’s what it looks like if you do it on the wrong side. It’s good to show this to your kids, letting them know how important it is to draw on the folded side of the paper. We want a full heart not just a half!
Let your kids cut out the hearts on the fold, following the pencil line. This is great for practicing those scissor skills.
My daughter, 4 years old, loved cutting these out and did a pretty good job. My son, 7 years old, was able to draw his own half hearts and then cut them out. Perfect craft for so many ages. We now have hearts-a-plenty, looking like we’ve had a bit of a Heart-Attack!!
There are so many ways to use these heart cut-outs. Tape them your refrigerator, walls, or windows for Valentine’s Day decor. Write little love notes on them and give them out to friends and family. Use them in other Valentine’s day crafts.
More heart Valentine’s Day projects:
- Bouquet of Hearts Card for Valentine’s Day
- Abstract Painted and Pieced Hearts
- Hanging Pipe Cleaner Hearts
- Valentine Airplane Hearts
- DIY Glue Hanging Hearts
- Valentine Hearts Letter Match Game
- Colorful Puddle-Painted Hearts
- Pipe Cleaner Paper Clip Hearts
- Make Pencil Toppers with Crochet Hearts
- Valentine’s Day Tree With Clay Hearts