We’re starting off our Holiday ABC’s with the letter A and an advent project, helping countdown to Christmas with festive activities. One reason I love this advent below is that we can use it year after year. By using a dry erase marker and metal surface, we can simply change up the activities by wiping them away and adding new ones. Here’s how we made this year’s wipe-off advent calendar.
Supplies for Holiday Wipe-Off Advent Countdown:
- 14×14 inch metal piece – I bought this red metal wipe off board from Target. But you could simply buy a sheet of metal from a hardware store. Something magnetic and wipe-able.
- 12×12 piece of cardstock paper, any style
- exacto knife and cutting surface – I just used a cork board trivet
- sticky back magnets
- black number stickers
- black dry erase marker
1. First, you want to cut out 25 flaps to your cardstock paper, using your exacto knife and cutting surface. I found this fun “gift tag” paper down in my paper stash and it’s going to fit in perfectly. I can’t remember what brand it is, so I can’t tell you where to get it. But you don’t have to have special paper like this, you can use any style paper and simply make 25 cut flaps anywhere on there.
Once your cut flap is made, bend it all the way back and bend it again all the way forward through the hole to make it stay flat for countdown time, as to not show the message underneath.
2. Add a number sticker to each of the flaps, all in different areas.
3. Add magnets to the back of your paper to stick it to the metal sheet. I had a thin magnet sheet that I cut out small rectangles to add to the back of my paper.
4. With your dry erase marker, write in different activities for each of the 25 days. Here are the activities I added for this year:
- drink hot chocolate with peppermint whipped cream
- watch the movie Elf
- visit Santa and take pictures
- go see the lights downtown
- take a neighbor some homemade cookies
- print out holiday coloring pages
- make paper snowflakes
- sing Christmas songs
- listen to Christmas music
- watch Charlie Brown Christmas special
- bake sweet bread for holiday wreaths
- frost gingerbread houses
- make these simple jingle bells
- drive to find a lit up neighborhood street
- decorate Christmas cards
- have kids earn $ to donate a present to charity
- make wreath plates and give someone treats
- craft place settings for Christmas dinner
- serve Santa pancakes
- have an m&m taste test and graph the results
- pull out a favorite family puzzle
- watch the movie White Christmas
- craft paper tube binoculars to spot Santa
- read The Night Before Christmas
- open presents Christmas morning!
Here are a few other advents we’ve created over the years:
- Printable advent calendar puzzle
- Christmas tree paper chain countdown
- Christmas calendar round up
- Foam sticker advent calendar
How are you counting down the days?