We’re fairly new to our neighborhood, we just moved to a new house this year, and we’re still getting to know a lot of our neighbors. In the past, I’ve found a great way to make connections in a new area is to host a party. So I partnered up with Lowes to create a perfect backyard setting ready for summer entertaining.
Here are some of my favorite party and entertaining ideas for hosting a backyard party.
- String holiday lights around trees or from your home to your fence for a starry night sky feel, or set up these mason jar lanterns around the yard.
- Festive table settings with DIY tablecloths, mason jar flower vases, and tissue paper pom poms.
- Flowers – One of the best ways to decorate is with flowers. We’ve placed a Star Jasmine plant right at the back door to help the whole backyard smell fragrant. And it’s a gorgeous plant to boot. We also have colorful perennials to help brighten up the green of it all in the back.
2. Food and Drinks
- How about a little agua fresca to serve for summer, or mint lemonade. Crochet a few watermelon coasters for all the drinks to sit on.
- Salads are perfect for parties. Rainbow fruit salad, simple pasta salad, or even grill a few peaches for a fruit salad.
- And of course you need to fire up the grill. We love to marinate chicken, roast hot dogs, maybe even grill up some portabello mushrooms with cheese. I’m also wanting to grill pizza dough and have a pizza bar soon. That would make for a perfect party activity!
- Who doesn’t love a good s’more?! Lots of ways to make s’mores these days, with candy bars, chocolate striped cookies, we’ve even thrown Nutella in the mix. Maybe even go for a s’mores milkshake.
- I’ve also wanted to grill up doughnuts, a suggestion from a magazine I just read. Or even get out our dutch oven and make a cobbler with some of our hot coals.
- And be sure to make these desserts for your party: watermelon pie, homemade blackberry ice cream, and ice cream rice crispy treat sandwiches.
What backyard party ideas can you share to help set the summer entertaining mood?